The Old Hall & attached Garden Wall to the Front

THE OLD HALL AND ATTACHED GARDEN WALL TO FRONT

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE OLD HALL AND ATTACHED GARDEN WALL TO FRONT List entry Number: 1355196

Location

THE OLD HALL AND ATTACHED GARDEN WALL TO FRONT, PURSTON LANE Grade: II*
Date first listed: 06-Jun-1952
Date of most recent amendment: 11-May-1988

Details

ACKWORTH PURSTON LANE SE41NW (west side) High Ackworth 2/22 The Old Hall and 6.6.1952 attached garden wall to front (formerly listed as “The Old Hall”) – II*

Lesser gentry hall-house, now house. Later C17, altered; restoration in progress at time of survey (1987). Coursed squared sandstone, stone slate roof. T-plan formed by 2-unit end- lobby-entry front range with single-unit rear wing. Symmetrical 21⁄2-storey twin-gabled south front with 5 first-floor windows; chamfered plinth, dripbands on 2 levels (carried round); inserted central doorway with 3-light overlight, 3-light double-chamfered mullioned windows on all floors, mostly with geometrical leaded glazing and many with renewed mullions and/or surrounds: all 4 at ground floor transomed and with lowered sills (the lower lights with plain glazing); one attic window with hoodmould in each gable (now of renewed masonry), ridged gable and parapet copings (in course of renewal). External chimney stacks to both gable walls; the left gable wall has a single-light window forward of the stack; the right-hand gable wall has a cross-window at ground floor and a 2-light window above (also forward of the stack), and the rear wall at this end has a Tudor- arched doorway (formerly the main entrance) and a 3-light window above. The east side of the rear wing has a similar Tudor- arched doorway next to the rear corner, a transomed 3-light window to the left, three 2-light windows at 1st floor, and an attic gable with a 2-light window (renewed masonry at this level). The west side of this wing has an unusual squint window in the angle with the front range, a cross-window and a 6-light window to the left at ground floor, and windows above these of 2 and 3 lights respectively. (All these windows have leaded glazing matching the front). Attached in front of the main range a garden wall of large blocks with rounded coping encloses a rectangular garden approx. 15 metres wide and 10 metres deep, with a gateway in

line with the front door. Interior: parlour (to left) has muntin-and-rail panelling, Tudor-arched fireplace with fluted pilasters to Renaissance-style overmantel; housebody (to right), partly partitioned to make entrance passage, has similar Tudor- arched fireplace, and large chamfered spine beam; kitchen in rear wing has very fine arched stone fireplace approx. 3 metres wide, with chamfered surround, and Tudor-arched doorway to lobby entrance on the right; fine full- height dog-legged staircase has square newels with ball finials and turned balusters; chamber over housebody (now partitioned) has moulded plastered beams; attic contains 5 collar trusses with knee braces to collars, and angle struts.

National Grid Reference: SE4384418010

© Historic England 2016

The National Heritage List Text Entries contained in this material were obtained on [date]. The most publicly available up to date National Heritage List Text Entries can be obtained from http://www.historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/