Church of St Cuthbert

CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT List entry Number: 1313257

Location

CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT, PURSTON LANE Grade: II*
Date first listed: 25-Mar-1968
Details

ACKWORTH PURSTON LANE (north side) SE41NW High Ackworth 2/23 Church of St. Cuthbert 25.3.1968

Parish church. C15 west tower, otherwise 1855 by J. W. Hugall (Pevsner). Coursed squared sandstone, stone slate roofs. West tower, aisled nave with south porch, chancel with north vestry. Four-stage tower with diagonal buttresses and weathered plinth has a wide 2-centred arched west doorway with 2 orders of cavetto moulding and C19 hoodmould, above this a restored 4- centred arched 3-light window with matching surround, Perpendicular tracery, and hoodmould, a recessed lancet to the 3rd stage, a dripband carried round; in each side of the top stage, a recessed belfry window of 2 cusped lights with a quatrefoil in the head and a hoodmould, a dripband with 3 gargoyles, a restored embattled parapet with crocketed corner pinnacles; and a flag mast rising from the centre of the roof; the south side has a niche to the 3rd stage, and a diamond-shaped clockface above this (the band stepped over it). Three-bay nave and aisles; 1st bay of south aisle has a gabled porch with diagonal buttresses, 2-centred arched outer doorway with chamfered surround and hoodmould, a niche with a statue, and an apex cross; buttressed aisles have 2-centred arched windows all of 2 cusped lights with trefoils in the heads (cinquefoils in north aisle) all under hoodmoulds with figured stops; 3- light windows at east and west ends of aisles, in similar style; nave has square-headed clerestory windows of 2 cusped lights. Three-bay chancel has moulded 2-centred arched windows of 1 and 2 lights, under hoodmoulds with foliated stops, and large 2-centred arched east window of 5 lights with shafts and bar tracery in Decorated style. Vestry on north side, of 2 bays with a north transept, has a 2-centred arched doorway with shafts and 2 orders of moulding, and a hoodmould, flanked by windows similar to those of the aisles, and a tall 2- light window in the gable wall of the transept. Interior: nave arcade of double-chamfered 2- centred arches carried on quatrefoil piers with moulded caps; tall chancel arch with similar responds, foliated caps, and 2 orders of moulding; attached to east end of north aisle wall, an

ex situ monumental slab commemorating Sir Roger Hopton and Anne his wife (died 1506), with Latin inscription round the margin and incised full- length cross flanked by shields of arms; on north wall of tower, a fine early C18 wall monument to members of the Lowther family of Ackworth Park, in a Corinthian aedicule with broken pediment; in base of tower, a medieval tub font on quatrefoil base, and at west end of south aisle an octagonal font with raised lettering on the side panels, including the date 1663. In south aisle, a wall monument to Robert Gully, son of John Gully Esq of Ackworth Park, with full inscription recording the circumstances of his death during the Chinese War of 1842 (now known as the Opium Wars).

Selected Sources

Books and journals

Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967) National Grid Reference: SE 44031 18076

© Historic England 2016

The National Heritage List Text Entries contained in this material were obtained on [date]. The most publicly available up to date National Heritage List Text Entries can be obtained from https://www.historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/