Ackworth Grange

ACKWORTH GRANGE List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ACKWORTH GRANGE List entry Number: 1135478

Location

ACKWORTH GRANGE, RIGG LANE Grade: II
Date first listed: 25-Mar-1968
Details

ACKWORTH RIGG LANE SE41NE (north side, off) 3/29 Ackworth Grange 25.3.1968 GV II

House. Late C18 or early C19, on earlier site. Coursed squared sandstone, slate roof. Rectangular plan. Two storeys and 3 bays, symmetrical, with full-height bows flanking the centre; central round-headed doorway with double doors, fanlight with radiating glazing bars, and pedimented Tuscan doorcase with mutules to the pediment; above this, a 12-pane sashed window; the flanking bows have tripartite sashed windows on both floors, with flat- faced mullions, 12-pane sashes in the centre and 8-pane sashes at the sides; modillioned cornice and low blocking course; low-pitched hipped roof and side-wall chimneys. Left return wall has 2 windows on each floor, all blind except the upper left, and cornice carried round. Larger service element to rear, earlier than front range and of 3 storeys to same height, and with same cornice continued, has, inter alia, a doorway and 2 windows with arched heads (probably early C19 alterations) and boxed sashed windows on all floors. Interior: fine cantilevered stone staircase, half-turned with landings, with scrolled soffits to the steps, iron balusters with foliated panels, and ramped handrail with wreathed curtail; 6-panel doors with reeded architraves.

History: known as “Briars Flatts” in late C18, acquired by Roman Catholic Tempest family of Broughton Hall nr. Skipton in 1836, and then known as Ackworth Grange; former Catholic chapel by Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin, 1842, demolished 1966. Reference: Kate Taylor, Wakefield District Heritage (Wakefield 1979) Vol II p.78.

Selected Sources

Books and journals

Taylor, K, Wakefield District Heritage, (1979), 78 National Grid Reference: SE 46010 17469

© Historic England 2016

The National Heritage List Text Entries contained in this material were obtained on [date]. The most publicly available up to date National Heritage List Text Entries can be obtained from https://www.historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/